Publishing, Royalties, and the Denomination Policies

An OPEN DISCUSSION forum to discuss 3ABN RELATED ISSUES -including posts or articles published elsewhere.

Moderators: Breezy, Lilly, Truth

Stan

Publishing, Royalties, and the Denomination Policies

Post by Stan »

For those who are interested, there has been a denominational policies for decades that author earn the royalty income even if they write the books on 'office time'.

It is my opinion that many authors could not be authors if that was not true. We would have significantly less books otherwise. Many royalty checks aren't enough to cover many expenses.

When an author becomes well published, as those who are able to run successful businesses are aware, sometimes it is best to form a company to manage the various income and expenses related.

This was a recent hot top at one of the NAD fall meetings ( I was told, I was not there) it comes up every so often.
Hyacinth Andrews

Re: Publishing, Royalties, and the Denomination Policies

Post by Hyacinth Andrews »

Then why are people so up in arms about Danny getting royalties?
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Stan wrote:For those who are interested, there has been a denominational policies for decades that author earn the royalty income even if they write the books on 'office time'.

It is my opinion that many authors could not be authors if that was not true. We would have significantly less books otherwise. Many royalty checks aren't enough to cover many expenses.

When an author becomes well published, as those who are able to run successful businesses are aware, sometimes it is best to form a company to manage the various income and expenses related.

This was a recent hot top at one of the NAD fall meetings ( I was told, I was not there) it comes up every so often.
Gailon Joy and Bob Pickle both profess to believe EG White a prophet and an inspired writer, (along with many joing in with their arguments and condemnations) but although she had quite a bit to say on the issue of royalties and books etc, they don't appear to me to heed any of it. I consider that quite strange and inexcusable.

The Published Ellen G. White Writings - The Publishing Ministry, Chap. 21 - Writers and Royalties wrote:
Author Has an Individual Stewardship.-- In all our dealing with one another, God desires us carefully to guard the principle of personal responsibility to and dependence upon Him. It is a principle that should be especially kept in view by our publishing houses in their dealing with authors. {PM 230.3}

It has been urged by some that authors have no right to hold the stewardship of their own works; that they should give their works over to the control of the publishing house or of the conference; and that, beyond the expense involved in the production of the manuscript, they should claim no share of the profit; that this should be left with the conference or the publishing house, to be appropriated, as their judgment shall direct, to the various needs of the work. Thus the author's stewardship of his work would be wholly transferred from himself to others. . . . {PM 231.1}

The ability to write a book is, like every other talent, a gift from Him, for the improvement of which the possessor is accountable to God; and he is to invest the returns under His direction. Let it be borne in mind that it is not our own property which is entrusted to us for investment. If it were, we might claim discretionary power; we might shift our responsibility upon others, and leave our stewardship with them. But this cannot be, because the Lord has made us individually His stewards. We are responsible to invest this means ourselves. Our own hearts are to be sanctified; our hands are to have something to impart, as occasion demands, of the income that God entrusts to us. {PM 231.2}

It would be just as reasonable for the conference or the publishing house to assume control of the income which a brother receives from his houses or lands as to appropriate that which comes from the working of his brain. {PM 231.3}

Nor is there justice in the claim that, because a worker in the publishing house receives wages for his labor, his powers of body, mind, and soul belong wholly to the institution, and it has a right to all the productions of his pen. Outside the period of labor in the institution, the worker's time is under his own control, to use as he sees fit, so long as this use does not conflict with his duty to the institution. For that which he may produce in these hours, he is responsible to his own conscience and to God. {PM 231.4}

No greater dishonor can be shown to God than for one man to bring another man's talents under his absolute control. The evil is not obviated by the fact that the profits of the transaction are to be devoted to the cause of God. In such arrangements the man who allows his mind to be ruled by the mind of another is thus separated from God and exposed to temptation. In shifting the responsibility of his stewardship upon other men, and depending on their wisdom, he is placing man where God should be. Those who are seeking to bring about this shifting of responsibility are blinded as to the result of their action, but God has plainly set it before us. He says: "Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm." Jeremiah 17:5. {PM 231.5}

Let not authors be urged either to give away or to sell their right to the books they have written. Let them receive a just share of the profits of their work; then let them regard their means as a trust from God, to be administered according to the wisdom that He shall impart.--7T 176-178. (See also 5T 563-566; 7T 179-181.) {PM 232.1}
~ Cindy
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Hyacinth Andrews wrote:Then why are people so up in arms about Danny getting royalties?

Good question. Who knows? I have noticed that they seem to keep forgetting or ignoring the fact that Shelly Quinn was co-author of the ten commandments book and so any royalties paid would not all go to DS..

It also seems to me that with the same arguments and convoluted reasoning they use against DS, they could condemn EG White also, or as a more recent example, even Doug Batchelor...

(Reminds me of a quote from an EGW critic:
"Don't you do to the Bible what I am doing to the writings of Ellen White or you
will destroy the Bible, too." - Walter Rea to a College Place audience. quoted
in The North Pacific Union Gleaner, February 1, 1982, p. 10 )

Then again, they have started in on Pastor Doug and are already trying to use their same arguments and reasoning against him and his ministry...
Gailon Joy on Nov 17, 2008 wrote:
Artiste/Louetta Westphal on Nov 16, 2008 wrote: Can we have some more information regarding the allegations of the Amazing Facts leadership?
Get a list of those who left Amazing Facts in the period from 2006 to 2007 and conduct interviews. Did you know they have an air conditioned warehouse (I am told it was 23,000 sq ft) to inventory all the Batchelor writings from books to pamphlets? And did you know he has his own publishing company as well? Put 2 + 2 together and we have a story to be investigated. Particularly with regard to the relationships between Mountain Publishing and Amazing Facts...There is a story here and we will assume reformation will take place!!!
Who's next?

I think this goes back to the question and concerns raised in the "What Does the Adventist Church Need to do about Joy & Pickle?" thread.

..ian
~ Cindy
Stan

Post by Stan »

So much done by some ( 3 different groups)
1- Some Nice Folks
2 - Gossip mongers
3 - Rumour mongers

Gave the impression that 3ABN should be run in a manner similar to a mom and pop operations.
I am not aware, and perhaps someone can correct me, that there was any that ran successful business of any size.

It is like they are saying "you need to run that the way I would"

Many of the folks that are on the BOD know how to make business work and grow.

I also doubt, if any of the 'concerned' were committed to the ministry with their dollars. Perhaps someone can show me where I am wrong there as well.

Just some random thoughts..
odie1962

Post by odie1962 »

Stan wrote:So much done by some ( 3 different groups)
1- Some Nice Folks
2 - Gossip mongers
3 - Rumour mongers

Gave the impression that 3ABN should be run in a manner similar to a mom and pop operations.
I am not aware, and perhaps someone can correct me, that there was any that ran successful business of any size.
What you are saying with this is unless you have run a business or a ministry of this type, ShutUp and go mind your own business. Most have not been a conference president or a pastor either so by your thinking do not say anything,do not call to account.

It is like they are saying "you need to run that the way I would"
Some may seem like they are saying that,but most that sincerely felt or do feel there are issues with 3ABN that should be rectified have been scoffed at ,called names etc. The Bob and Gailon side have done more than their share in that. Bob and Gailon's wrong does not make everything right with 3ABN.

Many of the folks that are on the BOD know how to make business work and grow.
To make 3ABN grow has little to do with the personal behaviour of DS or those that know of issues that should be stopped.
Many sucessful ministries out there,most non SDA and they have a great following. Look at the sucess of PTL and Jimmy Baker before he got caught with his pantsdown. Highly sucessful and had fantastic growth. And that means what?

I also doubt, if any of the 'concerned' were committed to the ministry with their dollars. Perhaps someone can show me where I am wrong there as well.

Unless one has owned a business,run a ministry and donated to 3ABN,it should not be a concern of anyone. 3ABN has taken on the role of adventism to the public. Whether or not that was their plan is beside the point,that is the reality.

Taking this to it's logical conclusion unless one has been a communications director there should be no critisim no matter how corrupt one may be{that is not personal only an example}
Unless you have been a conference president you can not critize or attempt make change of any kind when that position is held by a corrupt party. Pastors would also be exempt unless one had been a pastor.

One very effective way to silence dissent or critical statements of SDA's is to bring out the old rumor and gossip club.Use it frequently it is very effective.

There are those that have little time for Bob and Gailon that are firmly in the camp of believing there are issues that should be made right. Doubtful that will come as Bob and Gailon have made it so abhorrant that most are just walking away. They still hold the same opinion on DS,but cannot stomach what is being done by the other side.
Unless Bob and Gailon are sucessful in their legal attempts now,I suspect they will really rachet up the accusations etc until they go to far. If, and I believe it more than a possibility,that the lawsuit was dismissed,there were issues that 3ABN/DS did not want coming out. But if Bob and Gailon have a hold of it,it will come out, one way or another

Just some random thoughts..
I was really glad to see Bonny the goldfish was not given the credit for your random thoughts :lol: